accessplanit help Trust to achieve compliance and reduce risk
“I make no secret of the fact that I think accessplanit have developed the perfect system for this Trust, one that has a stable and reliable core built around compliance, a nationally mandated necessity, and beyond that has the flexibility to meet our requirements as an individual Trust.” Paul Mendes
The largest specialist heart and lung centre in the UK and amongst one of the largest in Europe, the Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS Foundation Trust is known for highly skilled staff, many of whom are experts in their chosen fields. The trust employs over 2,500 staff across their two sites: the Royal Brompton Hospital in Chelsea, West London and the Harefield Hospital near Uxbridge.
“Our requirements are not, and never will be static – we need a system that can change with us and for this to happen the provider needs to understand us as a business and stand ready to move when we do.”
The Business Challenge
Learning and Development is fundamental to the success of the Trust. Prior to 2009, the Trust managed over 15,000 training events using a standard system which was slow, inflexible and incredibly time consuming. There were several key drivers for change including an increasing demand from regulators for timely and accurate compliance reporting in respect of mandatory training. The Trust’s subsequent success in reaching the highest level of the NHS Litigation Authority’s (NHSLA) risk management standards resulted in reduced insurance premiums as well as the assurance of staff competencies.
Course/event administration was complex, time consuming and difficult to co-ordinate as class bookings and eLearning courses were managed using separate systems. This also created issues with data accuracy which needed to be addressed, as training numbers is an important performance measure for the Trust. There was also a growing need to move course booking to self- service, giving attendees the flexibility to book on-line.
“Cost saving was not actually a factor at the time, although we have gone on to make quite substantial savings anyway, which was just as well as costs are an issue now.”
Following a rigorous supplier search, accessplanit wase chosen by the Trust to provide a learning management software platform. The Trust was looking for a supplier with credibility in the market sector and with the ability to develop a system to meet future needs. The accessplanit solution provides the Trust with automated course booking and administration for both classroom based and eLearning, hosted on one platform, with all the functionality required by the Trust including:-
- On-line Booking – providing real time information and accessed through the learning portal.
- eLearning – with the ability to upload in-house and external courses
- On-line Surveys - simple to use and used for completing course or trainer evaluation on-line. All forms can be automatically distributed by email based on pre-defined criteria, and filters applied for reporting.
- Report Writer – producing an infinite number of standard or bespoke management reports on every aspect of the company’s training and development, including intelligence to use for future planning.
- Job Profiling – with the ability to define course requirement to specific roles
accessplanit continue to work very closely with the Trust, developing additional functionality as and when required. Modification and system development include additional reporting particularly around compliance, and a bespoke appraisal system. The Trust has been delighted with the additional development.
“accessplanit has a flexible approach to customisation, which was refreshing after the ‘we know best’ attitude we have encountered with many other suppliers. In all cases they correctly understood our requirements, stuck to the quotation, and delivered either on time or early.”
- ROI - an estimated £50K savings can be attributed through the automation of training administration.
- Improved Efficiency - time once spent chasing compliance and running reports can now be used for the development of new courses.
- Increase in Compliance - non-medical appraisal compliance has increased sevenfold since 2010 and the development team can automatically track learner targets, expiring awards, certificates and competencies.
- Goal Completion – the system was instrumental in assisting in the completion of mandatory training which was part of the Trust’s successful application to reach the highest level of the NHS Litigation Authority’s risk management standards.
- Control Over the Entire Training and Learning Process - both classroom and eLearning are now centrally managed, producing benefits in time, accuracy and consistency.
- Improved Management Reporting - a report that previously took two and a half hours to produce now takes less than ten minutes.
- Course Development – additional time gained through automation has enabled the team to develop the department as an Institute of Leadership and Management centre, offering qualifications at Levels 2, 3 and 5.
“The single greatest benefit to me and my department has been the time saved – time that we once spent chasing compliance and running reports (all now automated) can now be used for the development of new courses.”